US: ProducePro campaign launched to help consumers safely prepare and enjoy fresh produce
Kathy Means, PMA: Consumers are the last line of defense in preventing foodborne illness.That’s why PMA supports the Partnership for Food Safety Education, which educates consumers through science-based, consumer-tested messaging.
The Partnership, with support from the Food Marketing Institute Foundation and PMA, introduced ProducePro, a new campaign to help consumers safely prepare and enjoy fresh produce with simple home safety practices.
ProducePro offers evidence-based, actionable “6 Smart ProducePro Practices”:
- check for bruising or damage
- clean hands, surfaces and utensils
- rinse fresh produce
- avoid cross-contamination
- chill cut produce appropriately
- discard damaged or cross-contaminated produce