US: Sick employees insist on serving up food
Food Safety Magazine: More than half of food industry workers go to work sick, according to the annual Mind of the Food Worker study conducted by the Center for Research and Public Policy and commissioned by Alchemy Systems.
A few highlights from the poll:
· 51 percent of workers say they “always or frequently” go to work when sick.
· More than 45 percent say they go to work because they can’t afford not to.
· More than 46 percent said they don’t want to let their fellow coworkers down by not showing up for their scheduled shift.
· Oddly, when managers were asked how many of their employees show up to work sick, most replied with a mere 18 percent.
· Another odd finding is that despite their habit of going to work sick, 87 percent of frontline workers said they would still serve the food they make to their families and children.