The Times: The owner of an Indian restaurant has been jailed for six years after serving a curry containing nuts to a customer who made it clear he had a peanut allergy. Mohammed Zaman, 53, the owner of six curry houses, was found guilty of gross negligence manslaughter at Teesside Crown Court on Monday in what is ­believed to be the first prosecution of its kind.

Paul Wilson, 38, was found dead at home after eating a tikka masala. He had emphasised “no nuts” when ordering his meal at the Indian Garden restaurant in Easingwold, North Yorkshire. During Zaman’s trial it emerged that a teenager had been taken to hospital three weeks ­earlier after suffering an allergic reaction at one of the owner’s other curry houses and that Zaman had ignored numerous warnings. Experts say the practice of using nuts to augment more ­expensive ingredients is widespread and could lead to more deaths.

Read the full article at The Times