Advice to the public: wash your produce with water NOT SOAP
The ARC Training Centre for Food Safety in the Fresh Produce Industry has released information on washing produce with water, not soap.
Key points are:
- There is no evidence that COVID-19 is transferred through food
- Wash your hands with soap or use a sanitizer before and after handling your groceries and fresh produce
- Do not wash fresh produce in soap or detergent
- Soap is not designed for use on food and any residues on fresh produce can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea if ingested
- The FDA in the US says to wash fresh fruits and vegetables in cold water
Visit the ARC Training Centre for Food Safety in the Fresh Produce Industry post here.
Watch and share this video of Jemma O’Hanlon, Accredited Practising Dietitian and Nutritionist at Horticulture Innovation Australia giving her advice on how to handle and prepare fresh produce at this time. Here.
View other posts and resources on fresh produce safety and COVID-19 here.