ABC News: A South Australian woman has died after contracting hepatitis A from recalled frozen pomegranate. SA Health chief medical officer and chief public health officer Professor Paddy Phillips revealed the 64-year-old woman died last Wednesday after "some time" in hospital.
Posts from the ‘Microbial Contamination’ Category
US: Romaine crisis creates anxiety for local farmers, but false claims about food safety hurt the industry
Fresh Fruit Portal: Very often the produce industry can be its own worst enemy. Because the crop is perishable and few growers are national or global producers, there is a constant desire to differentiate various growing regions.
NSW Health: NSW Health and the NSW Food Authority are working with Entyce Food Ingredients Pty Ltd which is conducting a precautionary recall of its Creative Gourmet branded frozen pomegranate product sold at Coles supermarkets.
NSW Food Authority: How did this outbreak happen? The investigation found that the contamination is likely to have occurred due to adverse weather (localised storm over the farm and subsequent dust storms during the season) increasing the levels of Listeria on the fruit prior to harvest. On this occasion and despite following industry best practice, the washing and sanitising at Rombola Family Farms was not able to remove all the trapped bacteria from the rockmelon surfaces, resulting in a low level of Listeria being present.
Read the full summary at the NSW Food Authority website
FreshPlaza: Australian melon growers are buoyed by support from retailers, consumers and export markets.
National Public Radio: Last fall, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration started looking for dangerous bacteria in a few of America’s most beloved fresh foods: parsley, cilantro, basil, and prepared guacamole. The very freshness of these foods carries a risk. Since they aren’t normally cooked, they may harbor nasty bugs like Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes.
Read the full article at the National Public Radio website
Food Safety News: Week-old speculation about frozen corn being responsible for a three-year listeriosis outbreak in Europe, which has had an 18.75 percent fatality rate, is probably correct.
Read the full article at the Food Safety News website
ABC News: A Darwin-based researcher with the University of Queensland is hoping that our culture of obsessive food documentation — foodporn — will eventually improve prevention of a widespread gastrointestinal disease.
The NSW Food Authority is advising consumers who are most vulnerable to Listeria infection such as older persons, and people who have weakened immune systems due to illness or pregnancy, to avoid eating rockmelon after a recent spike in listeriosis cases in elderly people has been linked to the fruit.